The song ‘Just Fishin’ came on the radio and it brought me back to a time when my dad brought me bass fishing. We drove out to the middle of nowhere to a small pond, maybe about 4 acres in size. The boat was just a little aluminum boat, big enough for me, him, and the ice chest. It was powered by a trolling motor. We got to the middle of the pond and baited our hooks, then sunk em. We sat there for about 10 minutes before he pulled out 2 Miller Lites, and I shared my first beer with my old man, while we sat there and fished. We talked about all kinds of things while we reeled in fish after fish. I think we caught 23 keepers, all bass, using only artificial bait, since they wouldn’t take on the worms. We were out there for about 3 or 4 hours. It was great. I even got to drive the truck home that day. We went home, cleaned our catch, and just spent time together. I was 14.
This memory reminded me how important it will be our children get older and we are just memories, like the one above. I don’t have a single bad memory about that day. and 14 years later, I still think about that day, and I realized that I still have a lifetime of memories to make with both of my young boys. Sons need that bond with their fathers, we as daddies, and more importantly as men, need to make sure and pass on those traits so that they can become great fathers and men. I have so many great memories to look back on. They had a great deal of influence on the kind of daddy I am today.
Don’t forget about the little girls! Your daughters can go with you as well! It’s a great time to show them that fishing isn’t just for guys, and honestly, how often are we completely alone with our daughters with NO DISTRACTIONS? Take this time to tell her how much she means to you, and how that will never change. Give her these memories, so that she can hold her children’s father to the same standards!

Our daughters can use the same experiences, and our little girls will always be our little girls.
Regardless of what you have, there are things we must do as fathers, and things we must do as MEN. Let’s make sure the next generation has the tools they need to be great!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment