There is nothing more tragic for a parent than losing a child. It is soul shattering. It goes against nature to bury a child, and I can't begin to imagine what I would do if it happened to me. At the end of this article, you will find some information to some groups that help with the coping. I wanted to do this story in memory of Oliver Lewis, a beautiful baby boy, just a few days shy of his first birthday. I interviewed his mother about this tragedy, and the following is my interview with Krissa Lewis. Please be warned, the following is very heartbreaking and was hard to write.
-Krissa, I'm glad you are willing to talk to me about this tragic story, can you tell me what happened? Tell me about Oliver first.
Oliver was born September 18, 2014. He was a healthy 6 pound 13 ounce baby when he was born. He was full of life and constantly smiling and laughing. He touched the heart of so many people with just a hug and a smile. He passed away four days before his first birthday on September 14, 2015. My life was changed. My world was torn apart, shattered and broke.
-What did you do when it happened?
When Oli passed away I freaked I cried, cursed god, drew closer to my husband and other son, Dylan. I began to distance myself from people. The worst part is the not knowing.You never plan to have your child pass away before you. It's just not natural. You should outlive your babies. that was the thought that kept running through my head. One of the worst things is having to choose your baby's last outfit and pick a casket. your mind will continue to wonder what your baby is doing or what they would be doing. For me i always wonder if my two little boys would be running around my house,
-How do you cope? Did anything make it easier?
I cope by going to mass and trying to get my faith stronger, staying distracted and spending time with friends and family. Nobody really understands unless they have been through it. Nothing really makes the grieving process any easier, but having a good support system that is there for you to talk to does help some. Everything will seem depressing. I think the worst part of depression is when your mind wonders to what your baby would be doing right now. you look for them and wonder what they are doing. just remembering that your baby is with family and Jesus in heaven has helped me.
-Do you have anything you would have done different during his life?
I have no regrets about what I did when he was alive just wish I had more time with him. I spoiled him and spent all my time with my little family. I would have held him more, kissed him more and took more photos.
-If you could give a parent advice, what would it be?
I would just tell them to cherish every second they have with their children, take lots of pictures and hold your baby tightly.
-If you could tell a parent that just lost a child anything, what would it be?
To the parents that have lost a child all I have to say is it doesn't get easier you just learn to live with the pain and sorrow. It just becomes part of you, you will feel broken, shattered and alone but you aren't. Look forward to one day being in heaven with your baby and know that they are in heaven smiling down on you. That's how i have been coping.
The reason for this story is so that parents who have to live this nightmare can know that they aren’t alone. As unfortunate and tragic as this is, it can happen to anyone, and sometimes it helps to know you aren’t alone. I hope this article can help a family in their grieving.
Links to help with grieving parents:
- https://www.facebook.com/SilentGriefSupport
- https://www.facebook.com/My-Child-Has-Wings-184518771569225/info?tab=page_info
- http://www.griefhaven.org/index-firstpage.shtml
- http://www.grieving-parents.com/
This was a hard article to write, while interviewing Mrs. Lewis, I discovered that she was unable to afford the memorial little Oliver deserves, and a gofundme account has been set up, but she is still short of her goal of a meager $800. Please take time to donate to her fundraiser to help this mourning family. https://www.gofundme.com/w64pfp8w
In Memory Of Oliver Lewis![]()
But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 19:14
By: Dad Hack

No comments:
Post a Comment