We all do it, don’t lie. When the wrench slips and we smash our knuckles, when we step on that MOTHER F$CKING TOY that someone left in the floor. It happens, I was one of the worst ones about it. I worked offshore and trust me when I tell you sailors like to curse! I got pretty good at it myself. It wasn’t such a big deal when my son was born, I mean, really? It’s not like he had a whole lot to say! Now he is nearly 3 years old, and everything I do is just fascinating and he wants to do it too! Which is great when we are talking about him wearing wranglers and tucking in his shirt (don’t judge, I’m a country boy), not so much when he decided to tell the dog to go f#ck itself, in front of mom. I don’t cuss much anymore, I still do it when I’m angry, but compared to using my ‘word enhancers’ in every sentence, I am down to doing it in extreme situations or when I’m in an adult only situation. We are all human, we all do things that we shouldn’t from time to time, and sometimes in between. As a father, your children watch you in everything you do, and they want to mimic that, because let’s face it, who could be cooler, stronger, bigger, and better than a toddler’s dad? NOBODY! So, and I’m not fussing, but I’ll say the same thing my mom told me (and I hope she doesn’t see that I’m admitting she’s right), your children look up to you and will do everything you do. The good and the bad. Think of those little punks we see on TV, the ones that cuss and fight and disrespect the law and the teachers. Have you seen the video where the teenager beats his teacher down for no reason? Bad language may not seem like a big deal, but it makes it seem like a person doesn’t possess the vocabulary to be able and properly express themselves, it makes kids look like punks. Teach them to say ‘Yes Ma’am” to every lady they meet, regardless of age. I can say that I am quite impressed when a 7 year old says “yes Sir” to me. It shows that you care as a parent and you want your children to be the best. It isn’t cool to hear your 5 year old to cuss in Wal-Mart while you are checking out. Here are a few tips I used when I was trying to edit my mouth.
- I would NEVER cuss in front of my grandfather. I spoke as if he was standing by my side at all times.
- You can’t punish a toddler for doing what they JUST watched their father or mother do, try redirection. Don’t freak out when you hear it, because then it just becomes a game. Think of how pleased a toddler is when they get all the attention in the room!
- Don’t just teach manners, make sure they see you giving manners. Yes Sir, No Ma’am to everyone. Shake hands when you part a conversation. I learned the best way to do it is as you would in the military, start every conversation with a Ma’am or Sir.
Try and remember, we were all kids, and we all remember when we first cussed. Don’t be so hard on them, instead, lead by example!
By: Dad Hack

No comments:
Post a Comment