Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Single Father By Tragedy

     OK Dad Hack friends, from time to time I post some more serious articles, the following article is of a sensitive nature. One of our followers commented on our page and we happened to reach out to him only to find out he is a single father that lost his girlfriend in a tragic murder. When I researched it a little more, I found that I knew the brother and sister of Jason's girlfriend, so this article is a little closer to my heart. We at Dad Hack appreciate Jason Richard, Trae Parsley, and Jessica Landry for their interviews and help with this article.  
  Being a single father is no walk in the park, for some fathers, it is simply because they didn't see eye to eye with the mothers, sometimes it is drug abuse, and in this case, sometimes the mothers are tragically taken. Below is the interview between Dad Hack and Jason Richard. Be aware, some of this may be hard to read.



 Gone but Never Forgotten



  • Jason, tell me a little about how you became a single father and what your son's name is. 
My name is Jason Richard and I have a beautiful 5 year old son named Brody. I have been a single dad since he was one and his mom was shot and killed by her mother's boyfriend in 2011. 
  • What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome with this tragic situation? 
The biggest obstacle I've had to overcome was my fear of not being able to be a good father or support him on my own. I've overcome these obstacles with a loving mother, Brody's grandmother Angela, who helps me tremendously. I'd like to say for the record I could not have done it or come this far without her and that I'm not perfect by any means, I'm a recovering drug addict but I work two jobs now and anybody who knows me knows that I will and I do anything for my child. 
  • How did you overcome that? 
I've overcome this with unconditional love from and for my son, time, and his grandmother. (Later, Jason mentions that his relationship with God has helped tremendously as well).

  • Do you keep in touch with Julia's family? 
I stay in touch with her brother and two sisters, they are very supportive and always have been. (At this point, I tell Jason that her siblings speak very well of the man he has become).

  • How do you feel about yourself as a single father? 
I feel that I'm a great father and that I put my son first, any and all my decisions I make today are for him. I have fought the Office of Child Safety and won and gone above and beyond for my child and I always will.

  • Have you had to explain this to your son? How did/will you explain this? 
My son asks about his mom and the only thing I don't tell him is the way in which she was taken from us. He knows that she is in heaven with Jesus  and that she is our guardian angel. I will explain the rest when I and only I feel the time is right and he is old enough to understand. 

  • Do you have any tips for other fathers who may be going through the same situation? 
.I don't have all the answers for any moms or dads in my situation and I can only pray that my story will at least help one family through their struggle. Don't give up and you should know that you can't do it without the help of the Lord.

  • Is there anything you'd like to say for people to know? 
I'd like people to know that they should cherish the fathers or mothers of their children. That is a very special thing to have and to tell your loved ones each day that you do love them. You never know when tomorrow may not come. God bless you all and your precious children. I don't know where I'd be without mine, he has truly saved my life. 


Jason wanted me to make sure that any parents that are

 going through similar situations can reach out to him 

via Facebook and he would help in any way he can. 





Being that I know the family, I took the time to speak with Trae and Jessica Parsley, who are two of Julia's siblings. I took some extra time and wrote the following as a small tribute to a very special woman that was loved by many and missed by all.


John 16:22   


"So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you."

Julia Ann Landry 
November 1, 1979  -  September 4, 2011 

Julia 'Jewels' Landry was a wonderful mother, sister, daughter, and girlfriend that was loved my everyone that she met, she was tragically taken in early September of 2011 when she was brutally shot and killed alongside of her mother, by her stepfather. 
If you ask anyone that met Julia, you'll likely get a warm smile when they tell you about her kind nature, the way she played with her children that she loved dearly, her convictions with the Lord, and how she always had time to hear about your day. Her siblings speak with conviction when they remember their older sister, and many tears are shed when Julia is brought up. I could write a book solely on this beautiful woman and run out of pages when I ask people about her, unfortunately, I only have so much room to write about her.
Julia was a graduate of Jennings High School and Delta School of Business where she attained her Medical Assistant License. She was a member of Our Lady of Prompt Succor Catholic Church. Julia was a loving mother, daughter, sister and friend and will be greatly missed by her family and friends. She will be most remembered for her outgoing personality.

She leaves to cherish her memory, her father, Van J. Landry of Patterson, LA; grandfather, Harold Lee Trahan of Estherwood, LA; two daughters, Savannah Landry and Madelyn Benoit, both of Moss Bluff; one son, Brody Landry of Sulphur; two sisters, Jessica Landry of Westlake and Amber Parsley of Sulphur; one brother Arthur "Trae" Parsley and fiance' Shannon; step- brothers, Dallas Landry of Carencro, Zachary Davis of Dalton, GA, Justin Parsley of Lake Arthur and Chris Parsley and wife Sara of Lake Charles. She also leaves a special great- aunt, Helen "Nanny" Doucet; godmother, Helen Jackson and many aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.


No comments:

Post a Comment